The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Have Never Understood This Approach
In Response To: An eBay Story ()

I always assume that the seller knows the approximate value of the watch that he or she is selling. Or at least I am not too surprised if they estimate the value, at a reasonable premium to market (say, 20 or 30%).

But now we see lots of folks listing at three times the fair market price, or even at 10 times the fair market price.

I have never really understood this approach -- Hoping that someone will get confused and hit the BuyItNow? Hoping that someone will make an offer, and somehow be influenced by the crazy BuyItNow price? Or maybe they just enjoy listing and re-listing their items on eBay?

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I have just loved watching the series of auctions and price
: adjustments involved with this Zodiac Triple Date on eBay. I
: believe I am correct in remembering that the owner started out
: with a buy it now of $18,000. After a series of price reductions
: it is now down to a buy it now of $6,000. I have bought and sold
: several of these including a BNIB example. I can buy them all
: day at NAWCC shows for $900-1,000. I wonder what the seller paid
: for it and who told him/her it was worth so much?

: JohnCote

:
: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZODIAC-HEUER-CARRERA-Triple-Register-Dato-Compax-Panda-Most-Rare-/141498441789?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20f1f6e03d

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE