The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Off-Topic: Heuer-ish Japanese Chronostop

My passion is primarily for 30's-60's Swiss manual wind chronographs (recently Gallets) but sometimes I indulge in interesting pieces outside my strikezone.

My latest indulgence is the "Heuer-est" Japanese watch I have ever come across - a rare execution of a Citizen Recordmaster. Its a chronostop Monza/Autavia/UG Compax-lookalike housed in a stainless steel waterproof screwback case that is slightly reminiscent of the Peseux "lapidated lugs" cases used by Zenith, IWC and UG in the 40's/50's.

This is a rare execution with applied lume and red chrono hand a la Autavia GMT. (Citizen had a penchant for "borrowing" design cues; another execution of this watch has ridged markers and hands that look exactly like those of a Autavia 2446C.) The crystal is a flat top that sits high above the bezel like the Movado/Zenith Subseas.

Recordmasters were manufactured in very small lots between 1967-1972 and the date of manufacture of my one inferred from the serial is May 1970. As is the case with many rare Autavias that are sought after now, this colorful execution was not popular at the time and hence very rare. My one had sat in its owner's drawer since purchase and came with the original price tag and black leather strap. The Citizen 5700 movement is a 21 jewel manual wind with flyback that beats very slowly. The date is set by moving the hour hands like the Calibre 11/12 that we are all very familiar with.

I never expected to post about an obscure Japanese watch on this forum but thought the Autavia/Monza/Compax fans on this forum get kick out of the Heuer-influenced design.

Best,
G

Messages In This Thread

Off-Topic: Heuer-ish Japanese Chronostop
Nice Recordmaster
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE