The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A salutary Tale

An embarrassing follow up to the above story. This watch is a FAKE. I only found out by:

1. An accidental message sent to a (decent and very knowledgeable) collector about it. he wrote back with an email link that clearly shows this watch has been modified and made to look like a special sort of Heuer:

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Page1/vintage-medical-chronograph-pulsations-dial.html

2. A search for "17 Rubis" on this forum. As a newbie, I had not much knowledge of Jeff Stein and now having read his views on this topic, I am horrified how I fell for this and how stupidly naive I was to even consider this watch.

3. The old catalogs on "OTD" are brilliant. They show just what this should look like-noting like what I have photographed here.

I feel so really stupid about this that my foray into Heuer almost come to a brief and premature end. Rules I have learnt quickly are;

1. Never ever buy a watch on eBay

2. Aways ask the experts-I have had really nice replies and fast on everything I have asked in the last few weeks of the UK-based Heuer experts. Rich C and Stewart Morley have been brilliant.

3. Check this forum before purchase to see what details there are about any "special" marks/features.

4. Stick with one watch. I was tempted by the pulsometer because of my background. Sentimental and crazy.

I guess my photo should now be moved to the gallery of fakes. Infamy at last!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE