The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
!00% certain it's a fake, don't bid on this one...
In Response To: Real or fake? *PIC* ()

Dear Mr. Chuck Maddox,

I've been suggested to contact you for a question about an Omega Speedmaster Professional.

Hello Leo,

This is an interesting place to contact me for Omega information, but I'm sure the regulars around here won't mind the extra traffic.

As I'm not very expert about this, I'd like to show you a picture where you can see, on the right a 100% real speedmaster professional, today version and on the left, a watch that I found on sale on line second hand of a not specified year.

Yeah, I can well imagine why it doesn't have a specified date!

As there are a few little differences and I'm not sure if those are due to the different age of the model, or if those are surely inaccuracies of a fake watch.

Oy! None of the former, all of the later...

The strange thing is that some of these differences are technically more difficult to produce on the left hand watch, such as: metal embossed omega sign on dial, thin chrome rings around small dials, complex closure.

I'll give the watch on the left this much... The clasp is as nicely executed of a fake clasp as I've seen recently, not that you can't see it isn't an Original Omega, but it looks porfessionally done. As for the rest of it. 100% certain it's not something from Bienne, CH (Omega's home).

Also the lines between the numbers on the bottom of the bezel, look longer.

Those are wrong, as are the pushers, crown main timekeeping hands, the subdial hands look reasonably close but the rest of it's easily discernable as a fake or at least nearly entirely non-original.

Please let me know what you think about it, if you can.

I now have, sorry for the delay, lots of stuff going on here today.

many thanks, hope to hear from you soon,

You're welcome! I hope to hear from you again soon!

Leo.

Cheers and don't buy this one!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Messages In This Thread

Real or fake? *PIC*
!00% certain it's a fake, don't bid on this one...
Interesting to See and Read
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE