The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let's Discuss -- Why Do People Not Post Full Serial Numb

: Are we really worried that someone gets a valid serial number and
: then produces a batch of the fake cases, with this number? Will
: someone really file an insurance claim or police report, with
: your serial number? [These are two of the reasons that I have
: heard, in other discussions of this topic.]

Jeff,

This has bothered me too. People have been doing this in the American pocket watch world for a long time. In this world it would be very difficult to fake a watch because the serial numbers on American pocket watches are typically found in one place on the movement that you can see and on every other non-interchangable movemnt part such as every plate. Therefore I have always assumed that it was the police report thing. I think the police report thing goes two ways. Some folk may worry that their piece may actually have been stolen at some point. Others may simply worry about someone filing a false claim.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE