The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
1yr Anniversary for my 64' (Story)

Well it is the one year Anniversary for my 64' Carrera Re Edition.
After intialing seeing this piece advertised and it's subsequent debut,I simply had to have it.
Alas kids,racing,life got in the way and I was standing by for a good time to purchase one at later date.
The later time came alot quicker than I would have liked but the chase was still on for a NOS.
I walked into my local Jewelers here in OH and spotted one sitting in the showcase off to the side of the other Re Edition models. I asked the sales rep,whom I have known for awhile about the new Carrera's before picking up the one I really wanted. He simply stated that it had been there for about a year and half and that he did not know much about it other than it was a 64' Re Edition. This Jeweler is a very nice High END Store that does not offer much in the way of discounts but they are very nice to deal with and provide excellent service. I saw the price tag afixed and asked if it could be discounted since this "loner" sat for so long. The anticipated answer was no,but they were having their annual Holiday Manufacture's Rep sales event the following week.
This event is quite nicley done with complimentary hor'derves,wine,etc, all to get you in the mood to spend some of your hard earned money. Several representives are present from Rand Diamonds,Debeers, Mikmoto Pearls,Tag Heuer,Breilting,Baume Mercier,Rolex,Maurice LeCroix,MontBlanc,Panerai and few others I'm sure I missed.
By the way they will offer a 25% Manufactures discount at that time. So I promptly broke protocol,had the watch put on hold and safely taken to the vault to purchase next week.
It's midweek and I'm anxiously waiting to take home my prized find and I recieve a call from the Jeweler. He is confirming my interest in the timepiece,my reply "of course,I will be down for the sale". He then informs me that 2 seperate people are "Hunting" for this watch should I change my mind. One through a dealer locate, and the other is another collector.
Saleday! I arrived at the Jeweler's and find complimentary Valet Parking today.I'm greeted with a nice Chardonnay and a slice of smoked salmon. I'm one of the first there so I make my way to the counter and talk to the Tag Heuer representitive. She asks about my inquiries to the line and I inform her that I'm here to pickup a 64'Carrera Re Edtion. One of the store personal spots me and brings it out from the vault.
The Tag Heuer rep says that she has a list of several customers looking for this watch and that she was happy to see that someone found one the last ones in captivity.
I recieve a complimentary Tiger Woods hardbound book "How I play the Game",Tiger Woods set of Golf Balls "2 months later" following my warranty registration,and a Tag Heuer embroidered Baseball Hat.All this in addition to the 25% discount from an authorized factory dealer with all paperwork.
This was truly a great Christmas present to myself and my long sought after search for a NOS 64' Carrera with the added bonus of great buying experience.
I turned the key the to the Corvette and looked down at my wrist and envisioned myslf in the Carrera Panamerica race with a nice fuzzy feeling inside.
Thanks for reading and Seasons' Greetings to all!

Messages In This Thread

1yr Anniversary for my 64' (Story)
Watch for the Speed Traps
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE