The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Shield Logo Discrepancy - 40's Valjoux 69 Heuers

Hi George,

My thoughts are that the first watch has a dial been refinished. The Heuer shield doesn't look right and the registers are uneven. Take a look at the printing on the minute register. See how much space is there between the edge of the register and the 10 minute mark versus the 20 minute mark? Very uneven.

The second watch from Matt Bain has been for sale forever. It has been on that site since I would guess 2010 or 2011. I think the size and price are what has held people back, not the quality of the watch. I have had a chance to see the watch in person and really like it. My guess is that everything is original and correct on the watch. During the 1940s, the Heuer shields were sort of interchangeable - there were some watches produced with the squashed logo at the same time as the taller logo. My guess is that it depended on how busy the dial was. If you see watches with a lot of internal rings on the dial, they often have the squashed logo just so it could fit. Likewise, the squashed logo also seemed to be more common on military pieces or on black dial watches, like the one that Bain has. As such, I don't think the movement signatures and dial signatures needed to coincide.

Just my two cents on all of this.

Best regards,
Eric Wind

Messages In This Thread

Heuer Shield Logo Discrepancy - 40's Valjoux 69 Heuers
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE