The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: this is a real problem.
In Response To: this is a real problem. ()

Gianvittorio,
I think thankfully Heuer will never reach the craziness of Rolex prices, when you wear a Rolex everyone knows what it is and intrinsically that it is expensive, when I wear a Heuer people usually just ask, "what's that?". However much as I don't like the way prices are going and agree that, for me at least, 8-9000 Euros is going to be too much to pay for any Autavia, I think Hodinkee is simply pointing out a fact. The demand for vintage Heuers is increasing and it is increasing on a static supply chain, they simply aren't making them anymore and didn't make a lot to start with. On that basis prices will go up.

As new collectors push values up there is obviously the very strong chance that people will speculate and invest in Heuer watches for potential gain rather than merely wanting them as pieces to be worn and enjoyed, possibly buying now and simply holding on to the watches until they can realise a profit, thereby further reducing supply. I count myself very lucky to have acquired some nice Heuers when they were affordable but my pleasure is solely in wearing the watches, any increased value only becomes relevant should I need funds for something else.

Also the reality is that this price rise is not just happening to Heuer vintage pieces. I have long had an interest in Smiths , the English brand, and even those modest watches are climbing significantly in value to the point where they are, again for me a least, now a very considered purchase and not simply a great cheap vintage watch. They may never fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars but I would hate to see a time where I cannot afford a good Smiths Deluxe, unfortunately with increased demand and a finite supply this may well come to pass.

Tony

: When prices are too high,the game stopped.
: This is not a collector discussion,it is a ''bond'' market.
: Watches are,for sure a pleasure,but when this pleasure is just for
: few collectors around the world full of money....we have
: problems.
: Who is Hodinkee?GOD in person?Idon't think.It is a handsome website
: but we are losing the purpose about collecting nice watches.
: I DON'T WANT TO PAY 8-9000 EUROS for an Autavia,this point of view
: is completely fool.
: A Rolex Daytona 6263 for 25.000 euros is fool.
: For sure the future is not for the chromatics 70's,the 60's valjoux
: powered Autavia is more and more rich of chances
: but,please..keep our feet on the ground.
: This is my honest point of you.
: And yours?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE