The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Latest arrival: NOS TAG Heuer 980.023N Deep Dive 1000m

Hi all,

this post is to share with you my latest found, a NOS professional diver quartz 1000m TAG Heuer 980.023N from circa 1986, found this afternoon during a visit at an ex TAG Heuer dealer…

Let’s start saying immediately that, until now and since I’ve started collecting watches (TAG before and Heuer later), I never owned and wanted a quartz watch, and less a diver watch… I always liked chrono watches, better if automatic ones (but also here my taste is changing), and always seen quartz watches as cheap and unclassy ones… until today…

A couple of weeks ago I found another quartz diver one, a NOS Heuer PVD 980.026, that I let go and sold here on Chronotrader last week, but honestly I have remained a bit fascinated by this kind of tool watches (unusual for me that I never considered diver watches as “my cup of tea”)… today, seeing this in the metal, I started considering them… and found that are cool and sporty :-)

Surfing the web I found these two beautiful articles, one from our Stewart Morley (Stewart hope you don’t mind if I put a link to your beautiful article) and another one from David Chalmers from Calibre11 website, so will not tell you anything about this cool watch (who collects diver ones will already know everything about the super-professional and 1000m ultimate tool diver watches, the other ones can read below everything there is to know):

https://heuerville.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/tag-heuer-980-023n-deep-dive-1000m/

http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-1000m-spirotechnique/

As I will never be able to make photos as Stewart is, I beg your perdon in advance and will let the images speak for me.

Neither the booklet nor the box probably are the correct one (I think the cylindrical box is the right one) but this I have had from the dealer (it had a big confusion into his shop store) and I think is cooler than the right one (you can find the same earlier box with “Heuer” logo only):

It has 20mm lugs so I think I will try also a black Tropic rubber strap..

So finally I have found the watch to wear this summer on the beach ;-)

Thanks you all for the patience if arrived until here.

Cheers.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE