The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Abercrombie & Fitch fans what are these 1960s parts?

I've had this mystery box of 1960s dials and hands sitting around for a few years. Please have a look and see if you can provide some intelligence on these parts, which have a Heuer A&F connection. I bought this box from a well-known, retired New York watch dealer, whose family has had a retail operation in New York since the 1950s. He couldn't remember where he had found these. "Those are for the Heuer dash timers," he said. But they clearly are not. The dials are 34mm in diameter.

And the box has the most intriguing handwritten note saying: "Ordered by Mr. Jack Heuer in early June 1963." Shown below:

This appears to be a box of parts, with a link to Heuer, of Abercrombie & Fitch 1960s dials and hands for alarm watches. Was there is a Heuer alarm watch with the AS 1475 movement or some sort of alarm dash instrument? I can find many other brands of AS 1475 pocket alarms and wristwatches, plus early A&F pocket alarms, but nothing that was actually produced that showed a collaboration between Heuer and A&F. The dials are identical in style to many Heuer dash timers discussed here.

The full hand-written text on the box says: "24 only metal black dials without radium for A&F pocket alarms - 24 only sets of hands for above." However, as you can see, some dials have bright white indicators and some have a form of luminescence. The white tag says: "Hands for Alarm Cases - Cal 1475." The dials are heavy for being 34mm with feet at the 18 and 45 minute positions.

I hope the A&F fans here will join in a conversation to help shed some light on these interesting 1960s parts.

Thanks in advance - Bill Mahoney

www.Squinky.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE