The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Early Autavia 3646M +++ Found a personal grail *PIC*

Dear OTD-members,

Found one of my personal grail watches, an Autavia 3646M with the Valjoux 92. For me the 3646 in all of her clarity is even more beautiful than the 2446. I showed some photos already to Jeff & Paul, everthing looks pretty good.
The case looks unpolished (at least for a long time), the bezel has some scratches and dents (but is original) and has the lumed triangle (light) at 12 o´clock. The minute display is good to read and faded to beautiful greyish, the scratches are not so strong from normal point of view.

Dial is 2nd exec., already with baton indexes. Dial signed Swiss only without T. Only the hands (hour and minute) are later replacements and have no lume insert. The dial has aged over the years from black to dark gray. Looks awesome to me.

Maybe someone has changed dial and hands as part of an early service. Could be a modernized 1 exec. version to avoid radiation of the tritium?
The pushers and crown are OK, signed Heuer crown maybe should be replacement.

On the caseback the engraving is still visible.

Between the lugs the matching number (52540) is still visible (sorry, but not possible to take a photo)

Inside has a signature (Ed Heuer Swiss) and one watchmaker brand.

Movement is signed Heuer Leonidas and runs great.

Feels good to see this beauty on my wrist...

Messages In This Thread

Early Autavia 3646M +++ Found a personal grail *PIC*
Re: Early Autavia 3646M +++ Found a personal grail
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE