The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mid-size diver case differences

These are actually the full size cases (not the jumbo(42mm) Or midsize which was 32mm)I've worked on many of these (all variations).

•All use the same 27.5mm dial and all interchange.

•The earliest (and thickest) cases use an ESA 536.121 (ETA automatic 2824-2 is a direct drop in replacement-stem, movement holder, hands, everything). They have rather plain case backs and unsigned screw down crowns. Much thicker than any other execution. Heuer branding only.

•the next thickest uses the newer slim case with a deeper case back to accommodate the 963.114 or 963.116 movement (no auto will easily drop in due to lack of room). The had more elaborate Heuer signed case backs and either screw down or non-screw down crowns, both of which were signed. These were branded both Heuer and Tag Heuer.

•the thinnest case is the later Tag Heuer branded model which uses the 955.112 or 955.114 movements. Elaborate TH signed backs, Tag shield on the screw down crown.

The bezels from the later two SHOULD fit. But the first cases mentioned have thicker dimensions and won't fit.

Let me know what you need exactly (you can send me an email if you want, I work on these all the time and have some parts in stock.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE