The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
On the opposite front...

There's also this going on... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEUER-VINTAGE-CARRERA-3647T-VALJOUX-92RED-TACHY-SILVER-DIAL-FULLY-SERVICED-/321789443186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aec253c72

This watch has been easy to track based on the engraved case back and the marks on the dial. It sold in March of this year on eBay for $2950, I had considered it but it was missing a lot of lume from the minute hand, the dial was and still is dirty, and the pictures and description were a bit vague.

It was then offered to me in May by a well known vintage dealer as being "recently serviced, and all original" for $4500, yet this time the minute hand wasn't missing any lume.

I saw it again on instagram at the end of May (I didn't know it was this exact watch based on the instagram pic) so I inquired with the dealer, out of the diamond district in NY, he was asking $5500.

And now we see it here for $5950! It may have been recently serviced, but the case is a little over polished, the dial is definitely dirty, and the minute hand was either relumed or replaced at some point this spring.

As with the thread on the offerings from Man of the World, my theory is that these dealers are cashing in on the guy that saw or was shown this "cool watch" and now he wants in, but doesn't want to put in the time or effort to do the research or the hunting, so he ponies up the cash. The dealer scores on a guy that has more money than brains but wants to jump in because he read an article in Details or Esquire about how hot vintage watches are right now.

-ct

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE