The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Nice try from TH - but gotta try harder

Hello Jeff, thanks for pointing this out.
I agree up to a point with you about this one: like the previous one, it is a step in the right direction, but still misses the target by a mile if the goal is to appeal to the real vintage lovers.
With an important foreword of heresy - which is: I am no Monaco fan - I think they got it right with the lume plot, the M-H hands and the crown.
The bad: the Heuer shield and font in general, but above all: the pushers and the lack of the 12-hr chrono counter.
To me these are very serious points - and they would in any re-edition of an original Cal.11-12-based watch:
- the fluted pushers were very specific of Heuer and were a major component of the racing soul.
- the substitution of the 12-hr counter with continuous seconds is dropping half of more of the use of a chrono (the ol' Chuck Maddox school emerges here for me). And the very absence of the continuous second is one of the clearest "Less is more" cases to me.

So the only real faithful re-edition to me was the Carrera 1964 re-edition with blue deci scale and the Lemania handwound calibre. That was so close to the original that it's probably my all-time "modern" TAG Heuer and the true gateway to the vintage.

So overall: nice try, but gotta try harder as Rich states - but that's really all depending on their real goal I guess...
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE