The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is it the earliest known Heuer Carrera 3647T?

: There is
: also an article at Hodinkee In Depth "The very first Heuer
: Carrera" etc., I am sure all of you experts here know this
: very well. They say, the earliest known serial number for a
: 3647T is 54510, but they are wrong, because this is also a
: little later than mine.

Welcome to the forum. I have edited your post to make the photos visible, it was just showing blanks before.

That is indeed the earliest 3647T I have on record. In fact, it's the earliest serial for any 3647, not just the Tachy.

I wouldn't say Hodinkee were wrong as such though - they did say "the earliest known" and that was correct then, as we didn't know about yours until now :) Vintage watches is a little like archaelogy, we uncover more about the past bit by bit and each new discovery sheds a little more light. We, and Heuer/TAG Heuer, thought for years that the Carrera went on sale in 1964 because that was what they were telling us. Then some people, including Hodinkee writers, uncovered evidence in the form of adverts that undeniably could be dated to 1963 and we had to revise all our timepoints.

Great watch by the way, enjoy wearing it!

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE