The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Help needed please
In Response To: Help needed please *PIC* ()

Hi.

Looks like it is, or is intended to be, one of the military Carreras issued in the Congo. Searching for Congo here will turn up a few more examples, but here's one link to start with:

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=22565

I say "intended to be" because the Heuer text has clearly been redone. That said, with the exception of the second hand, the rest looks ok - that white on black rehaut is unique to these Carreras and thus very hard to find, so I reckon that the dial has degraded and someone has had a go at redoing the Heuer shield. Which is a bit of a shame.

Beyond that, we don't know much. The initial rumour was these were issued to Belgian pilots in the Congo, but that conveniently overlooks the fact that the Congo had gained independence from Belgium in 1960, some 10 years before these could have been produced (because of the movement). The Congo became Zaire in 1971 and there was much military activity, plus these have the look of having been issued - Belgium was still giving financial support, but as to whether it was providing military support needs a better historian than I!

I hope that gives you at least a little to go on. My conclusion is ok but with a redone dial.

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE