The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Watchmaker RIP

It is with great sadness I'm posting this today. Bruce Welby my good friend and watchmaker died suddenly in New Zealand this week. This has come as a great shock to those who knew him, as Bruce was so full of life and seemed to radiate good health and vitality.

Bruce was one of life's good guys, and had an infectious enthusiasm for his two great loves - watches and music.

If any of you have purchased a watch from me over the last 5 years, it's got Bruce's DNA on it.

Bruce has restored dozens of watches for me as well as servicing my Rolexes and Heuers - funnily enough his favourite is my Spirotechnique, though he loved the several Hamilton chronographs I unearthed and have since sold on. Bruce encouraged me to finally get a Rolex 5513 which I am patiently fwaiting delivery on, but sadly I will not be able to share in this purchase with him.

I would send Bruce a basket case non-working "dog's breakfast" as he liked to call them, then send them back to me looking amazing and of course fully functioning.

Bruce was the facilitator for me in this hobby as by buying non working watches then selling them on as restored and serviced, I was able to eventually afford the watches I really wanted to own like the Carrera's and my 3647 Autavia, a life-long keeper. He also educated me about various movements, and the history of Swiss watch companies. He loved to work on Valjoux movements and carried a huge stock of spare parts.

Bruce gained a scholarship in the early 1970's to study his craft in Switzerland, then returned to New Zealand and became the country's top Rolex certified technician.

Bruce loved watches with a passion and also shared my love of music. He was a bassist and we even played together in his home town of Napier New Zealand.

Below is a small selection of Bruce's work - if any of you out there have any of the watches I've sold you bearing Bruce's workmanship, I would love to see a wrist shot to see them again. There's a lot of you out there - I've lost count of the many I've bought and sold in the last 5 years.

Rest in Peace Bruce. You will be missed!

Wear them all in good health everyone - Nathan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE