The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is There a Conspiracy Behind the Recent Surge in Prices?

Its simple supply and demand...more collectors than watches. If someone is willing to pay $23k for the UG, more power to them, unfortunately it makes it harder for the average collector to buy in these days...but is this a conspiracy? I doubt it...I will say that a few sellers are asking way more than they should, but since they are getting these prices isn't that a free market economy at work? I see the same dealers regularly ask 2x what I'm willing to pay, effectively pricing me out. It sucks yes, but a conspiracy is a bit of a stretch. I think its more like some people have more money than sense.

: Here is a posting from the Man's Fine Life blog: Watch
: Collector’s Notebook — The “Nina Rindt” Compax and how
: markets are made for vintage watches today .

: I believe that the posting is wrong, both in its broad accusations
: (of a commercial conspiracy) and in many of its specific
: statements [no actual ads on Hodinkee?? Definitely time for the
: author to get his eyes checked]. Still, the posting is
: interesting, in trying to explain the recent surge in prices for
: many specific models or brands of vintage watches.

: I hope that our readers will share their views. Is this a
: conspiracy, with payments made between sellers and those who
: promote their listings? Or simply friends helping each other
: through support and collaboration?

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE