The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is There a Conspiracy Behind the Recent Surge in Prices?

Hi Jeff, thanks for the lead. It's an interesting read and IMHO it does have some valid points.
Some sites provide a kind of referral advantage for the in-crowd, those who happen to have the mentioned pieces.
At the same time, they also provide a value added for all readers: knowledge dissemination, publishing of gorgeous photos for us all to see and enjoy, a kind of rubber stamp on specimens of models where few are actually knowledgeable etc.

Surely a huge although discreet influence of these trend-setting sites is noticeable - and it's just a handful of them actually for my limited knowledge.
They do seem to chase mostly the same watches at round the same time and surely the exposure feeds a virtuous / vicious cycle (your choice of the adjective, also depending on your role in this: seller, buyer or simply amused spectator as I am).
Surely annoying is the fact that this drives up the prices for regular, simple-guy collectors who have no big coffers of money. Pretty soon most of us will be priced out and it will be a pity, because it will take much fun out of the game if it becomes a "rich-boys-only" game.

As much as I may like some nice conspiracy theory, with renown of Heuers, UG's, Enicars etc. growing, it only seems natural that the most natural market forces of supply and demand somehow come to influence the watch market. And as in every market, I think it is quite fair to state we've seen some speculation too - easy since the supply is so thin.
Grossly inflated prices especially for the less remarkable pieces: I think this - rather than the super-rare pieces like the Nina's or Sherpa Graphs or Autavia KAF's etc. - should be more worrisome to us, that the regular Viceroys now seem to have asking prices that have doubled in the last two years. I am no economist, but steady, limited growth is always a good sign to me in every market. Booms are for other type of players I am afraid.
Kind regards,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE