The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is There a Conspiracy Behind the Recent Surge in Prices?

I think the challenge in this article is that it is a bit presumptuous. Because one piece sells at an unusually high price (for whatever reason……..bidder frenzie perhaps) it does not establish a new market level for the specific watch or watches. I’ve seen at least 2 “Evil Nina’s” sell in the past for months for about $9500. I’ve also seen a UG “Big Eye” in horrid condition sell for $8K on an auction site, while another popped-up on eBAY and sold for $2400 (I wish I snagged that one, missed it literally by seconds……).

Vintage watch market conspiracy…..I doubt it. The internet is a powerful tool. Hype and interest for a model or brand spreads quickly. Forums, Facebook, Instagram, watch sites, etc. The rise in Enicar’s popularity is directly related to all the activity of the Sherpa’s. Folks have discretionary income, and are willing to pay just a little more than they normally may, because supply ultimately is limited…..and, this may be the only chance to get one in their mind. Of course this can be said, and can be true of many vintage models.

The growing popularity of vintage pieces will continue. If you have access to the internet, and frequent the little corners where watch forums, Instagram and Facebook pages are popular, you see the trends happening, and many jump in, like buying a stock that’s on the rise. I have bought pieces to flip knowing that I can make a profit to reinvest. Markets do settle in. The “Siffert” 1163 sky-rocketed from $3500 to over $10K in just a few years. In general, it appears to holding around that range. Buyers who are going to spend that amount of money are more finicky, and now want the best example possible. Have some sold higher (I think one from Pawn Stars when $14K) of course. Depending on condition and provenance, the market will dictate that. Will all SIffert’s go over $10K……I don't think so. The edition and condition dictate the buyer’s motivation for any purchase. Of course this is only my opinion.

Vintage watches are hot and good watchmakers are busy! Good for the economy, not great for average collectors. Ultimately, if you buy what you like and enjoy what you have, you will always find something in your price range to love. This is a wonderful hobby, but I doubt that the Illuminati, CIA or any other "shady" individuals or groups are in a conspiracy to direct the pricing in the vintage watch market!

Thanks for the space - Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE