The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is There a Conspiracy Behind the Recent Surge in Prices?

: Here is a posting from the Man's Fine Life blog: Watch
: Collector’s Notebook — The “Nina Rindt” Compax and how
: markets are made for vintage watches today .

: I believe that the posting is wrong, both in its broad accusations
: (of a commercial conspiracy) and in many of its specific
: statements [no actual ads on Hodinkee?? Definitely time for the
: author to get his eyes checked]. Still, the posting is
: interesting, in trying to explain the recent surge in prices for
: many specific models or brands of vintage watches.

: I hope that our readers will share their views. Is this a
: conspiracy, with payments made between sellers and those who
: promote their listings? Or simply friends helping each other
: through support and collaboration?

: Jeff

A very interesting discussion. In my humble opinion, as I am new to the forum and don't want to overstep, it seems to me that the digital space -- through rich instagram images, sites like HODINKEE and great forums for knowledge like OTD --- has made the vintage watch market wonderfully accessible to so many who previously had far more limited access to information. In any market there are peaks, valleys and inefficiencies. That's the nature of markets. But as one who enjoys columns like BRING A LOUPE and MARKET WATCH(ING) and sees many items called out still remaining unsold I think the article goes a bit far in its conclusions. To me, the watch market seems to continue towards a great period of growth in followers and enthusiasts thanks to this broad access to opinions and information. And in the end hopefully we will all buy what we do our homework on and believe is best.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE