The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Guilty as charged
In Response To: Is this the ex-Jorge? ()

I wanted to share with everyone that this "White Orange Boy" is actually mine. :) I had purchased it from Jorge last year, and after careful consideration and a few chats with Eric, I decided it would be an interesting piece to have at auction.

NOTE: I also want to make a statement that this post is not directed to any one person, so Jurgen, please do not read this as if I am writing to you. It is my own personal opinion, so do not be offended if you disagree with my thoughts.

As we all have come to see, the last 6 months have shown us big moves with many Heuer's, and the rarer pieces have seen significant jumps in value in a very short period of time. As for myself, I started collecting Heuer's a little over a year ago, so am not as fortunate as many seasoned Heuer collectors that have amassed a collection at pennies on the dollar with today's values. But this goes for any brand that have seen major moves in their prices. You can look at the Rolex Paul Newmans as the perfect example. Yes they did not jump to $200k in a year or two, but once the hype had initially started years ago, they began escalating in value significantly within months.

In my opinion, people are looking at the Heuer value's in the wrong way, specifically Heuer collectors. Heuer's should have seen price jumps several years ago, not just what we are seeing now. I divested from my Omega collection to reinvest it into Heuer's because I saw major value opportunity at the time (and of course, I love the design aspects too) and I still see great opportunity in the coming years. I have paid strong money for the majority of my Heuer pieces over the last 15 months that I have been collecting, and have been fortunate to have seen increases in value for most of my collection. But at the time I was buying them, I was paying huge premiums that other Heuer collector's thought I was nuts. LOL!

So when I hear people talking about, "prices are crazy" or "...they are not worth....", bla bla bla; I wonder how they come to that conclusion. Just because Heuer's have had depressed prices for years, should not justify that prices should remain the same or only increase slightly per year.

You have a vintage watch that was very limited in production (Viceroy being the most made at ~ 5k pieces), that you can't find parts for easily (since no one makes them; unlike Omega, Rolex, etc), amazing design, and great movements. That is a formula in the vintage watch world that should scream value.

I personally have sold a few of my Heuer's recently, just so I can be able to reinvest it into more Heuers. So even though I am spending even more money on a new Heuer acquisition, this does not make me feel that I am overpaying for a watch. Yes, it would be great to have bought a 1st Exec for half price last year, instead of the much greater number they are selling for now. But I believe even what I paid now is still not remotely close to the value they will see in the coming months and years. We are only seeing the very beginning of the true value that these various models should have been worth much earlier.

I have been contacted by many collectors of various other brands (Rolex, Omega, etc) over the last couple of months, asking questions, trying to learn more, etc.. and these guys have much more experience and knowledge of collecting vintage watches than I. But these seasoned collectors are understanding the great opportunity and value of the Heuer line, hence why you will see prices continuously going up over the coming months and years.

Also please realize that many of the Heuer watches were very small productions in comparison to other brands. So supply and demand also plays a big role on the price jumps. For example, I have been searching for a Skipperera for almost a year, and have yet to find one collector willing to sell me their piece and I have offered SIGNIFICANT money, but they don't need or want to sell. So with limited supply, in addition to collectors not willing to sell, you will see strong money follow when one pops up for sale. Add new vintage collectors from other brands to the equation, and you now have justification for the prices you see today and in the future.

I agree with many of you that certain models have seen huge jumps and might be more "common" models so they are "easier" to find, but is it really that easy? Just because we might not want to pay the asking price, since we might already own that model, does not mean a new collector does not see value. We can not be blinded by the fact that we have been fortunate and have been able to buy many of the pieces in the past at a fraction of what they sell for today. So many of the pieces that you are seeing significant jumps in value, are justified in my opinion, especially the rarer models.

We can cry about the fact that we have seen prices escalating quickly as "Heuer Fans and Collectors", but this does not change the fact that you have a quality product, made in limited production, that was under the radar for years, and has now been "discovered" by many other vintage collectors and is realizing the true value of what they should have been worth years before.

I am a true believer that we are only at the very beginning stages of seeing price increases, and have not reached anywhere close to "top side" yet. If I did not believe this, I would not be acquiring new Heuer pieces still today. I guess the expression of "put your money where your mouth is", can be confirmed with me! :) LOL!

Thanks for the opportunity for me to share my thoughts, and it would be great to have everyone chime in, whether you agree with me or not!

I wish everyone a fantastic week, and for those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Cheers
Carlo
@HeuerFan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE