The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Real collectors dont't buy and resell fast (IMHO)...
In Response To: Guilty as charged ()

Hi Carlo,

first of all congratulations for owing this beautiful watch, and I hope you will realize a very good price.

Said this, I always tend to be a bit "suspicios" towards those collectors that buy and resell fast their watches, and the phrase I didn't like from you is this:

"...I divested from my Omega collection to reinvest it into Heuer's because I saw major value opportunity at the time..."

...But I believe even what I paid now is still not remotely close to the value they will see in the coming months and years..."

"...If I did not believe this, I would not be acquiring new Heuer pieces still today..."

This is the point: some people out there have jumped into this brand because prices have skyrocketed and they see an opportunity to have easy money, a good short-term investment... this is not collecting vintage watches, this is money investment...

I don't wanna be taken as an example for this forum (also because I'm quite new here and am a rookie, and don't have the experience of the "big calibers" writing on this forum), but can say that, in only three years, have bought more than 20 Heuer and few some non-Heuer watches, and sold only one (with gread regret) because was NOS (true NOS, not like some NOS here around) and I was so sorry to wear it... for sure it will arrive the day (probably soon) that I will be obliged to sell one or more of my watches to buy another one, I don't have unlimited aeconomical possibilities, but as soon as I can I will hold all my watches for me... when I have bought them is NOT because I think to resell them in a year or so to gain easy money, but because I LOVE them, I like gently cleaning them every evening before putting in their velvet bag, I like wearing them occasionally (alternating them with some modern TAGHeuer "horsework" watches), I like (recently) servicing them and understanding how they work inside, I like winding them in the morning (for the manual ones) and try to match the shirt with the strap or dial in the morning... this is the reason why I continue to buy some Heuer references that aren't so appreciated by most Heuer collectors as they haven't skyrocketed in price (like Montreal, Heuer 2nd generation, and few others), because I like them and don't mind if they will mantain their price in a few years rather than growing fast...

Obviously when I buy another Heuer I always consider the "investment" aspect, so would never buy a watch worthing X at the moment paying a price let's say 1.5X, if I particularly like it I can spend a bit more of the actual market price, but tend to look for right-priced ones, but this is a secondary aspect for me, the first one is if I really like the watch, rare or not, and if I can enjoy it...

The aeconomical aspect is taken into consideration because is possible that, sooner or later, I could sell some watches and would be good at least to recover the intial investment, I will have enjoyed the watch in the meantime and haven't at least lost any money... but this is different from thinking "I buy today al X because I know I will resell in a year at 1.5 X"...

Obviously anyone has the right to do what he wants with its money, but collecting for me is another thing.

My 2 cents.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE