The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mania
In Response To: Re: Mania ()

:: The Speedway Museum does a really good job. They have a couple
: of full time mechanics and restorers. The have had many parts
: re-cast for some of the really old cars. Most of the cars
: actually run like they did when they were racing and can be
: driven at speed around the track.

I think this car belongs to Ford, but it's Jim Clark's Indy 500 winning Lotus 38, driven round Indy by Dario Franchitti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbk4zXUS1N4

: This is the actual LeMans winning (North American
: Racing/Rindt/Gregory 250LM). It is a thing of beauty. Someday I
: will get one of the boys to let me sit in it...HA...doubt I
: would fit if I tried.

When I was a teenager the local Ford dealer had a GT40 in their showroom for a week, and made the mistake of leaving the driver's door unlocked. I was in there like a shot (it was a real racecar, maybe it didn't lock). While I was sitting trying the right-hand gearchange in a right-hand-drive car two much younger kids came to look. One looked at the oil pressure gauge and said "Oh, it will only do 80." The other looked at the water temperature dial and said "No, it'll do 240." There was no speedometer of course -- not needed on a real racecar.

: Get done with it and come for the month of May Mike!

30 years of 1040s! I have enough trouble with the UK Income Tax ******s already! And I'm spending this year's vacation budget on being in France in the month of July -- for the Tour de France of course.

I'd love to spend the month of May at the Speedway, but even selling my two Carreras wouldn't pay the bill :-(( I am lucky that my friend Andrew Ferguson (no longer with us on the pit-wall) who was the Lotus Team manager in the 1960s, was there and wrote the book about it.

Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE