The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Abundant Parts; Constant Service -- Buy What Looks Good!

Thanks Jeff - both lovely examples. I do find it fascinating how we implicitly apply different standards to different watches. I agree with you that there's not much to be gained from deliberating over whether a piece is "original" or "authentic" when it comes to these Bunds. Let's enjoy them for what they are (beautifully designed pieces IMHO) - even if so many of them have lume that glows so bright they look as though they have just returned from a two week vacation on a beach in Fukushima!

But then the horror there would be if there were similar uncertainty in the provenance of an early 2446 or 3646. Some people freak if a case on one of those beauties has passed within a hundred miles of a polishing when. As I say, just fascinating (I think) the different standards and expectations we have around different pieces. But then that's often reflected in the prices I suppose.

: My own (uninformed) view of the Bunds is that parts were and are
: abundant, and the watches must have been serviced regularly when
: they were being used in the military, so I am at a loss to even
: use the words "original" and "authentic" to
: describe any of them . . . if we are trying to suggest that any
: Bund is "as it was when it left the factory". I am not
: sure that such a watch exists, but I am happy to be corrected.

: My own view -- they are great looking watches; they are affordable
: and easy to find (at least compared with other vintage Heuer
: models); so find one that you like, don't worry too much about
: where it has been since it left the factory . . . and enjoy it!!

: Mine is on the right; new arrival found for a friend is on the left
: . . . in the details, you will see many difference between them
: . . . both look great to me!! [Sorry about the awful gray
: lighting today]

: Jeff

:
:

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Messages In This Thread

Heuer Bunds
Abundant Parts; Constant Service -- Buy What Looks Good!!
Re: Abundant Parts; Constant Service -- Buy What Looks Good!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE