The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Another vintage chrono with racing pedigree

There's generally a lot of interest here in vintage chronographs with a racing pedigree, eg. the Siffert Autavia, the Bellof Montreal, the Jim Clark Enicar.
Here's one, my latest acquisition, from the other side of the world that is perhaps not so well known, the titanium Walter Wolf Citizen 8110 Chronograph.

This particular watch dates to Nov 1983 by serial number (gotta love these vintage Seikos and Citizens - their serial number allows one to date the watch to the month and year of production!), and is 39mm across.
Appearance wise, it's a little busy, what with cardinal directions on the countdown MH bezel, and the dial containing the prominent Walter Wolf logo, day (in Kanji)/date indicator, as well as the 2 subdials, all surrounded by the inner Tachymeter bezel.
But everything's arranged nice and neatly, and to me, overall, it's a pretty package!
The movement is the well regarded Citizen 8110A that ticks all the right boxes - column wheel, vertical clutch, flyback, 28800bph chronograph.
More details here:
http://vintagecitizenwatches.com/tag/citizen-walter-wolf/
Oh, and one point of criticism - the crown is way way too small for effective winding!!!

I had to do some googling to find out about Walter Wolf Racing, but it does seem to have fairly eventful, though short-lived existence.
Their debut year 1977 was most definitely their best year, with their driver Jody Scheckter winning 3 races (Argentina - a win in their debut race!, Monaco and Canada) and achieving 6 other podium finishes to eventually finish 2nd behind Nikki Lauda in the world championship, with the team achieving 4th place in the constructors championship!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Wolf_Racing

Well, enough of all that, here's a couple more photos!
Anyways, I think it's a big shame that this little Citizen flies just under the radar, just slightly unknown and unappreciated.
To me it's a gorgeous watch, which should have it's deserved, rightful place amongst its much more well-known Heuer and Enicar brethren!

Messages In This Thread

Another vintage chrono with racing pedigree
Re: Another vintage chrono with racing pedigree
Re: Another vintage chrono with racing pedigree *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE