The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Two sides of the same coin...

Hello D.,

first things first. Of course it's always disappointing to see nice pieces for unexpected, usually unexpected high prices. And be sure I know, what I speak from, as I remember I refused Rindts for 1500€ because the bezel was faded. Well that was back in 2012 but since then I have inquired for a lot of watches and was sometimes very surprised about the strong prices.

So, the question is, what do I do now. I usually thanked for the answer and said that I'm out of the game. So no bad feelings on both sides. I tried not to debate, especially with a dealer, that his prices are not in line with the market, because the dealer usually knows how he prices his stuff. And in your case the Rindt was on hold within a day, so the price was obviously reasonable. From my personal observations, your price of ~13k for a Rindt is outdated. You even have to struggle to find a nice one from a private person at that price. Raising this topic in the way you did clearly links it to rarebirds as they were the only official seller promoting a Rindt in the last days and I believe most of the frequent OTDlers are watching the site/Instagram account. So it leaves a bitter taste. At least to me, although it might not have been your intention.

Now please excuse a personal note of mine about Rarebirds. I know him for quite a time, met him on several occasions and bought/sold some watches from/to him and I can just say the best about him. I hope there remain no bad feelings on both sides and we can share our passion for vintage watches all together, no matter if the prices push some of us out today.

Kind regards,
Manuel

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE