The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
autavia 2017 winner news update

I have never posted here, and do not own any vintage heuers since I have no contacts and am not an expert, just an admirer.

However, the tag autavia competition to reproduce a classic heuer caught my attention, and the winner, a manual wind beauty, was encouraging, depending on if the mechanism was not module based...

As part of the recent Philips epic 88 chronograph stainless steel auction, there was an interview between hodinkee european representative arthur t with Biver and Aurel Bacs, podcast of which is available for watching via hodinkee website.

Not surprisingly, Biver hogged the limelight but did throw out this one note of interest:

The winner of the autavia contest for 2017 will not be a reedition, but a "modern interpretation" with, gasp, date and automatic mechanism and an "all new mechanism". Of course, tag ditched the CH80 movement. Could this be a reincarnation of sorts, or something else?

That is correct, he said it will have a date and will not be a manual wind watch.

I was shocked to hear him say this. Of course, until the watch is produced and marketed we will not know what the final product will be, but I was extremely disappointed to hear him say this. Does anyone on On the Dash have move insider knowledge or comments? I would think the community, if it is vocal, could potentially change the course of this watch before it goes into production, at which point, as it is said, all would be lost.

I would love to hear what members of this forum say/think about this, since I don't know where a "modern" heuer watch forum is to post this. Thanks.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE