The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What is a Monaco worth in this condition?

I am far from a Monaco Expert, but here is my two cents.

MAYBE worth a look as a restoration, depending on what you are trying to do. If we just look at it from the pragmatic perspective, here is what I see:

Missing the parts that you mentioned
Dial appears OK, some damage in the hour counter. I would like a dial shot to check for gasket damage
Hour and Minute hand look fine, might consider a re-lume/paint on the hands (GASP, philistine!)
Case is fair to marginal
I would assume it would need a full service

So, here is what you'd need to get it back to wearable spec:

Pushers - $250
Crown - $200
full movement service - $600
Crystal - $150
Center chrono hand and subdial hands - Maybe $300

So that represents an investment of at least $1500 in parts and service to get it back to running condition, plus the time and effort that it would take to chase these all down. Plus this ignores any case work, if you chose to do that.

I think most would agree the Monaco market is a bit soft right now. The most recent verifiable sold 1133B that I can find went for $8,000. That one had a nicer case and a NSA bracelet, but not the Heuer version.

So.... you ask what it's worth, as it is. IMHO it's too much of a project. I'd pass. BUT, if you really want a Monaco and are willing to work for it, I would put no more than $3-4K into it, as it sits. But only if you're willing to tackle what might be a difficult restoration.

Thanks for reading,
Dustin

: Looking for some guidance from the more experience Monaco experts
: out there. What is a Monaco in this state worth? Clearly a rough
: life, missing pushers, crown, chrono-seconds hand. In need of
: some serious attention. Curious as to what the value may be and
: is this a candidate to try and bring back from the brink? Any
: thoughts, comments welcome. Thanks - Jeff

:
:

:
:

:
:

:
:

:
:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE