The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let’s Discuss – State of the Hobby / State of Commun

A good topic for discussion, Jeff.

My collecting habits have changed insofar as I have broadened my horizons and looked at other brands where you can still find a good deal. I did this just before UG mania started and the prices were still affordable and I am now looking further afield, off the beaten track. I am also very critical, and perhaps somewhat sceptical when it comes to buying a new piece. The reason for this is that previously you may have take a gamble with a watch not being what you expected it to be and thought about sourcing parts if the proverbial hit the fan. Now, I think thrice before investing because of the cost price combined with the fact that there are less parts out there to be found.

With respect to pricing, one is certainly taken aback when new records are achieved in the auctions houses. However, does this reflect the reality on the ground. IMHO is does not. A good example is that the IDF 11630 sold over the weekend. I suspect many of the regulars on this wonderful fora would not have paid 70,000 CHF for that watch. This is not a criticism of the auction house but an observation.

I got into this hobby because I developed a passion for vintage watches. It all started with a visit to Nic Green's workshop and the rest, as they say is history. I will be holding on to my pieces for the foreseeable future and only selling to raise funds for expensive new acquisitions.

I have met some funny and interesting people during the way. Some of them, I would now consider as friends and I do enjoy the discussions, debates and sharing aspect which is a huge part of this hobby.

TAG Heuer should indeed focus on its heritage given its heritage is strong and colourful. I have not bought a modern watch in ages and I will watching with interest when its unveils its winner of the recent competition next year.

Finally, thank you Jeff for creating this online space for us all to share our dreams, and sometimes, horror stories.

All my very best

H

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE