The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: definitely going in some new directions

Great question, Jeff. The current state of the market definitely has me exploring new directions in collecting.

I love vintage watches, and I especially enjoy the research, the hunt, and the deal that brings a new piece into my humble collection. Relative value is important to me (have always been a value investor), and I just don't see much value investing in the big names today. Heuer now feels a bit like Rolex when I first started collecting, so I don't see myself buying Heuers in the near term unless a great deal appears. I am considering selling some of my Heuer pieces, but they will likely stay for a while as I still enjoy wearing them.

In terms of acquiring new pieces, I have definitely turned to other brands for the time being. I've lately found myself drawn to late 50's early 60's watches from other brands like Excelsior Park and Gallet. And vintage Zeniths have always been a favorite of mine, so I still find them hard to resist (even though Zenith market prices are hard to call a bargain). Here are the watches I've acquired in the last year...and not a Heuer among them. It is fun to explore other types of pieces, though many of them aren't as appropriate for this forum, I suppose.

Cheers,
Jim

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE