The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My views - State of the Hobby / State of Community

• How have your outlook and your collecting habits changed over the last few months, in reaction to changes in the market for the vintage Heuer chronographs?

I have always bought what appeals to me. Not any one brand specifically, although I am partial to Heuer and Omega. I love dual register chrono's, vintage divers and yachting chrono's. I love the history of these brands, and I love learning the many interesting facts daily from forums like this one. I buy my watches to wear and enjoy. I started collecting around 2012. By that time, many pieces were already out of reach for me. The trend has put more into that category, but I have a collection that I love and am proud of. Many of my pieces I could not afford to buy in todays market!

I saw an interview that Jeff Stein did where he indicated that he would often buy the example that was available, and if at another time he found and could afford a better one, he would. That made a lot of sense to me, and I've adopted that philosophy, and tweaked it to fit my style. I have met some very, very talented individuals, and have been able to take some of those "diamonds in the rough" and bring them back to diamonds.

• When you see your favorite $5,000 watch sell (three times) in the $15,000 range, how do you react?

I am amazed. I sold a Autavia 7763C a few years ago for $2500. Completely serviced. Now, I could easily have sold for double that (maybe triple). There is money out there, and people who have it, are not scared to spend it! Are they making wise and informed choices.........I am not able to answer that. Look at the auctions the last several weeks. Historic highs for vintage Heuer's and Omega's among others. While I agree that $8K is a fair market price for Skipper 73463, look at the one that sold for $24K in Geneva that Jeff posted about. I guess if someone who wants a near perfect example, they may very well pay $100K for a piece. There are those who love time-pieces and what they may stand for or remind us of, and there are those who invest. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what you own) this may be a good or bad thing. In general, it is pricing the everyday collector out of the vintage market for many brands or pieces that were more affordable only a few years ago.

• Have you done any selling? Are your tempted? How do you feel about your “inventory’? Are you holding / hoarding, and why?

For me, this is a hobby. I force myself to sell a piece to buy another. I am not scared of a project, and often look to pieces that may not be perfect, so I can acquire below market, and work with some other very talented people to bring back to a more desirable state. Some watches I keep, others I wear and enjoy for a bit and then sell when another piece that has peaked my interest becomes available. My ultimate goal is to pay for college for two great kids. Most of my expendable funds go towards that. If I am selling a piece, it is because I have found another that I would like to buy and enjoy. I am very happy with my current collection, and while there are a few pieces that I would like to buy, I am not ready to part with any at the moment.

• Have you changed the approaches to finding watches to buy? More aggressive; less aggressive; or maybe out of the market entirely?

I am always looking for that deal on eBAY or the forums (who isn't). I've started to also take time to hit the thrift stores on my travels. Who knows, maybe I'll find a Chronomatic Siffert for $29.95!

• Are you happy with TAG Heuer’s new focus on its heritage / the vintage Heuer chronographs?

I think they are smart to leverage the interest in their past, and the wave of enthusiasm in the collecting community for a watch with such a outstanding history. The Autavia Challenge was brilliant, and I feel its a great way to attract new enthusiasts. The homage pieces have gotten really exciting over the last few years, Longines, Omega and now Heuer. I am excited to see the new Autavia!

• Let’s finish with the most important question – Are you still having fun with this hobby? And is that fun coming from different aspects of the hobby?

I have met some very helpful and excellent friends over the past few years. Recently, I was able to connect two, so one could help another buy a watch from a regional site in another country. Frankly, it is one of the things I really enjoy about this hobby. So many great and helpful people who I have come to consider friends, even though we have never "officially" met. One of my goals is to take more time and try and meet folks face to face on my travels. I think it would be great fun to sit and have a drink with friends who I've met over the last few years and talk about whatever, including watches of course!

Another aspect that I am really enjoying is amateur photography. I have found that I really enjoy trying to capture the piece I am wearing in whatever surrounding I can find to highlight it. It's become quite fun, regardless of the tool (Camera, IPhone, etc). If I can get a cool or fun shot, it makes it that much more enjoyable to share.

So I will wrap-up by sharing my Skipper 15640. While it is not perfect, I was able to bring it back to this state with the help of some great friends in the community including: Henrik, James Hyman, Abel, Stewart and Ape. I love wearing this piece, and love the fact that so much interaction with so many good people from this community made it happen.

Take care all - Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE