The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
State of the Hobby / State of Community: my take

Hi Jeff, very interesting and thoughtful post for us to ponder on and read others' replies, many thanks.
Below you can find my own reflections on the main points:

•How have your outlook and your collecting habits changed over the last few months, in reaction to changes in the market for the vintage Heuer chronographs?
The surge of prices has, quite simply, priced me out. It's been a long time since I last bought a Heuer chrono, and unless the market changes as abruptly as it's done updwards lately, I am not confident I'll ever be able again any time soon. Nowadays even minnows seem to go for very strong prices.
•When you see your favorite $5,000 watch sell (three times) in the $15,000 range, how do you react?
Surprise, maybe suspect of some speculation as well but nothing more as I've never had any of them from the start.
•Have you done any selling? Are your tempted? How do you feel about your “inventory’? Are you holding / hoarding, and why?
Did a little selling a couple of years ago, but now I am holding fast whatever I still have, as I am afraid that if I sell I shan't ever again be able to buy back. I may still consider some further selling for a good cause in the future, but only for pieces that may no longer "speak to me" as they used to.
•Have you changed the approaches to finding watches to buy? More aggressive; less aggressive; or maybe out of the market entirely?
Last one - completely out of the market for vintage Heuers. Finding some solace in Sinn, my no. 2 brand, still very affordable (but moving up fast for vintage pieces) and whose modern pieces I also like a lot.
•Are you happy with TAG Heuer’s new focus on its heritage / the vintage Heuer chronographs?
Very glad that they've chosen to reissue an Autavia after so long. I think that if TH can keep one foot steady in innovation and the other one in tradition with reasonable prices on both, they're set on a very good and wise way forward. I hope they'll strike a sensible compromise for the Autavia reissue: although I would love it to be manual wound, fine if it's a nice automatic as long as it's got not too "crowded" a dial.
•Let’s finish with the most important question – Are you still having fun with this hobby? And is that fun coming from different aspects of the hobby?
Having got older I feel less excitement in collecting itself, i.e. hunting for new pieces, as I both have severe budget constraints in today's market and (more important) I think I now have what I want most.
I still love wearing my pieces, babysitting them, taking some odd pictures and of course reading watch fora - first and foremost OtD, which also has gifted me with some true friends across the globe.
I've been reading OtD quite regularly since 2003 and I am glad that it's grown and allowed more and more people to like Heuers - it's making this all the more fun for all.

So again many thanks as always Jeff for being our host in this magnificent forum.
Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE