The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let’s Discuss – State of the Hobby / State of Commun

Hi Jeff, very interesting to think about it, here my own thoughts on your points:

•How have your outlook and your collecting habits changed over the last few months, in reaction to changes in the market for the vintage Heuer chronographs?
I am a long time Heuer collector and I really like only the 60s and 70s, I do not buy any more on this level. besides, I have to keep my money for the advancement of my children, they need it now and not when I have passed. Perhaps 1 (-2) special pieces ;-) I'll try to get through exchange, but handle it not intensive.
disadvantageous I feel that you can store the watches only in a the bank safe, with a good conscience. We see us not as often as in former times :-(

•When you see your favorite $5,000 watch sell (three times) in the $15,000 range, how do you react?
yesterday a nice 2nd 2446 comes up for 25000 euro, I had the chance to buy, I let it run for an other collector.

•Have you done any selling? Are your tempted? How do you feel about your “inventory’? Are you holding / hoarding, and why?
As shown, I am not a dealer, I should sell some, not easy, not now, do not ask my wife, but the center of my collection will not leave before me.

•Have you changed the approaches to finding watches to buy? More aggressive; less aggressive; or maybe out of the market entirely?
sure less aggressive, I watch the market with something like a grin, at the time it isn't possible for me to buy one single early screw back Autavia for the amount I had payed for all I have. Now there is only my look out for special parts, and this I have to reactivate too, the rest is the battle between the hunter and the brain.

•Are you happy with TAG Heuer’s new focus on its heritage / the vintage Heuer chronographs?
we will see, it sounds better in the beginnig than meanwhile, the bill came at the end. for our view still many mistakes are possible

•Let’s finish with the most important question – Are you still having fun with this hobby? And is that fun coming from different aspects of the hobby?
yes, although I regret the loss of somehow known collectors because of the market, who's posts I'd liked to read.
I am still watching brilliant OTD and the common sources for seeing the good, the bad and the ugly, for instance the recent rindt.
Pushed by the current discussion, I will take care again for the completion of projects, working on some less worthy and rare movements myself, perhaps rolex ;-) and still waiting, as you all, for the ultimative offer, in my case a screw back GMT. perhaps I give a 2nd 2446 and a 2nd 3646 for it....

So many thanks to Jeff for being our host in this magnificent Heuer forum.
and notably I cannot forget the spirit and extraordinary experience of summit 2013 , besides others, especially meeting Jack Heuer !!

cheers
mich

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE