The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Interesting Posting "Why I'm no longer a vintage watch g

Jeff,

As a confirmed vintage guy, I was prepared to write a scathing reply. However I read the post and the reasons given aren't the typical whiny "I got screwed by a franken dealer" reasons we often hear. I was prepared to give my standard, "this is a guy who is not willing to do the work and take the risks necessary to be a vintage collector in today's market." The problem, after reading the post, is that this guy gives a pretty rational/reasonable explanation of his state of mind. He obviously likes vintage but he has "existential" reasons for trending toward new.

I don't agree, as I type this while wearing a new Omega Coaxial, about the "New Advantage" he talks about. I bought the coax second hand, though it is a current model watch because I am a guy who doesn't care about new. I have never in my life that I recall bought a brand new watch from a dealer. I do care a bit about the story a watch brings to me and I don't care much about the story I bring to the watch. I like new and vintage with an obvious tilt toward vintage. I am interested in mechanical timekeeping. I am just different from this guy. I like what he wrote. I get it. It is not for me but I can coexist in a world with this guy and probably have a nice discussion with him while disagreeing. I won't say I can do that...or that I even want to do that with every New Collector.

I would buy Mr. Felix Scholz a beer and talk watches with him and probably end up having a few beers and maybe dinner.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE