The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Collect what you enjoy

I actually enjoyed reading this article. It's well written and rational, and I think that there are elements that pertain to many collectors across both the vintage and modern arenas. I do love vintage pieces. The feel, the patina, the heritage, the look from the era they were made.....all elements that I enjoy about any specific piece. In my opinion, the ever rising tide of the prices in the market is what is making the hobby more and more challenging for the average collector. It's become a very serious past-time, and for many an investment as part of a portfolio. Of course there are still bargains to be found, but one must look much harder to find them! We all enjoy "the hunt", and I suppose finding that gem is even more special now than even two to three years ago.

As for more modern pieces, I would venture to guess that the majority of folks here have at least a few in their collections. Personally, I tend to gravitate towards those that are "heritage" based, with an aesthetic appeal that ties closely to the original. Why? At some costs of more than $20K-$40K I simply cannot sacrifice my kids college education to own a early Autavia 2446 or Omega 2998. I am excited to see the Autavia re-issue in 2017. If it looks as good as the original, there is a very good chance it may end-up in my collection - All be it after a few years, when the depreciation has already been factored into the price. I do not own any "Safe Queens". All my pieces I own to wear and enjoy. While I do not have a specific rotation, I do try and make sure that new or old, they all get attention and time on the wrist.

For me, while I gravitate towards vintage, I do find enjoyment in some modern pieces. Here are a few that will stay a part of my collection:

Life is a balance. As much as I enjoy collecting for myself, I have met so many good people that I've really come to love celebrating their successes as well. Forums like this are meant to share. Young or old, vintage or modern, fueling a passion is what life is about. My philosophy is collect what you enjoy, and be proud of what you have. Share you knowledge and celebrate with your friends. Diversity is the spice of life.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE