The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Interesting "About" Section on Ben Wright Website

A few days ago, I discovered a new dealer website -- Ben Wright Vintage Watches -- that lists some beautiful vintage chronographs, including a nice selection of Heuers. The design of the website and the watch photography are beautiful; have a look at the screen capture, below.

I thought that members of our community might like to read the "About" section of the website, so I have pasted it below:

In 1985, as an auctioneer with Christie’s, I cut my teeth cataloguing wristwatches and pocket watches, and ever since I have collected vintage wristwatches, albeit in a very small way.

When my attention was drawn to vintage Heuer wristwatches, I realised, as I hope you will, that this is a fascinating collectors’ market with enormous potential.

Some facts about the Vintage Heuer market:

1. Vintage Heuer is today a woefully undervalued market
    2. It has a brilliant Formula 1 Racing history, linked to famous racing drivers like Joe Siffert, Gilles Villeneuve, Jochen Rindt, Nikki Lauda, and more recently, Lewis Hamilton.
    3. The models are varied, colourful and exciting to wear. Not everyone has one, but everyone seems to have a Rolex.
    4. The recent publication Heuer Autavia chronographs 1962-1985 by Richard Crosthwaite and Paul Gavin brilliantly outlines the famous Autavia models and is now the Heuer collectors’ ‘bible’.
    5. Some of the rarer Autavias are directly compared to Rolex – particularly the Daytona. But whilst the Daytona’s were made large quantities, by comparison vintage Heuers were made in tiny batches.
    6. The collecting fraternity are always looking for a new undervalued up-and-coming market – Heuer fits the bill.
OK, folks . . . what do we think of this assessment? Good / bad / indifferent to have dealers coming into our little world, with this outlook? Is the recent explosion in prices attributable -- in part -- to new dealers arriving and building their inventories? Are they selling to short-term traders or long-term investors?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE