The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New Arrival -- Indianapolis Motor Speedway Autavia

I'm not good at holding off for the big announcements or developing the big surprise postings, so let me just post this "New Arrival" photo, taken earlier today.

I will write (a lot) more later, but quick facts as follows:

• second execution screw-back case, with serial number 889xx . . . the one in the TAG Heuer Museum is a first execution screw-back case
  • one-owner watch, originally received from Tony Hulman, owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, from the 1940s into the 1970s
  • I am fairly confident that it is all original (except for the crown), with a good explanation for the fact that the hands look shorter than usual
  • case seems to have original finish, with all the wonderful marks that you might expect from being a daily wearer for something like 40 years
  • bezel looks better to the eye than it does to the camera
  • movement is super clean.

Thanks to a couple of special friends who made this acquisition possible -- one an old-time OTD friend and the other being the seller (who I met last Monday, but who now feels very much like an old-time friend . . . it's been an interesting week!!).

Thanks also to the members of our amazing community who saw this watch "in play" and respected the handshake agreement that I had with the seller.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE