The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Not Sure About Place of These; This One from Tony Hulman

We are still not certain about the place of these watches in Heuer history!!

We have no evidence (or even serious suggestions) that they were given as prizes to the racers or the teams . . . would be great provenance, but does not seem realistic.

There is the "gift shop" theory . . . which seems realistic to me . . . and would help explain the relatively large number of Heuer stopwatches that we see with the "Wing and Wheel" logo.

This one came from Tony Hulman (owner of the IMS), as a personal gift to a friend / business associate. If you own the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, ordering a few of these watches would seem like a good thing to do . . . to hand out to friends, VIPs, etc.

I am working to learn more about this one, and will try to do a comprehensive posting, when I have assembled more information.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Wonderful watch Jeff! Huge congratulations! I had a few questions.
: Were these sold in the gift shop, more of a prototype or given
: as gifts to race car driver or people who had affiliation with
: the Indy 500?

: What an amazing watch Jeff! Enjoy that beauty!!

: Best

: Jonathan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE