The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some info...
In Response To: Heuer "shauntavia" ()

Hi

The watches in the photos look correct to me; that is, they correspond to other 11630 KAF Autavias we have seen. The 11630s coming from the big batch of KAF watches seem to have both the Viceroy style steel hands, and the later painted "mil" style hands. My best guess would be the watches were supplied with both hand styles. This is consistent with what we see with non-KAF Autavias, where brushed steel hand 11630s with good provenance are quite common, as are those with painted hands.

The dial looks exactly like the other KAF 11630s we have seen, with a characteristic glossy finish and silver/grey sub dials.

The only part of the watch which I don't find convincing is the engraved KAF marking. It's hard to be sure, but so far we have seen big font engravings on the early 7740 and 73663 watches used by the KAF, and then much smaller engravings for the later 11630s (also sometimes starting 82AF). The engraving on this watch is in between these two sizes and I haven't seen that size engraving before. However, there are many KAF sourced watches with no engraving, so I don't think there is 100% consistency.

The serial range I have seen for the KAF 11630s with numeral dials (so called "Shauntavia") are around the 376xxx range.

Finally, you ask how many; the simple answer is quite a lot! Across the 7740s, 73663, and 11630 versions, with numerals on the hour markers, we have seen probably around a hundred or couple of hundred. Then there are also a hundred (or hundreds) of plain standard dial 11630s from the same source. Many of these watches seem to have survived, albeit in pretty poor condition, and then were sold in big lots.

I'm working with Jeff on a more detailed article, Jeff will publish some time next year.

Hope it is helpful

Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE