The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: . . . and If You HAD to Estimate a Cash Price ? ? ?

Ahh - gun to the head time , hmmm , i have a crafty sidestep here ;-)

You can look at this issue from very different perspectives ( well three really )

1. Cold, clinical & factual - how much would a decent bezel improve the hammer price of the 1st execution Autavia Mr.X is considering to sell at the upcoming Phillips/Christies/Bonhams auction.

2. Mr.Y is one of the lucky few that have an early Autavia screwback HOWEVER his example is missing a bezel

3. Collector, enthusiast, WIS - Mr.Z has been crazy about this model for years & regrets not getting one 8-10 years ago before the "hype". Mr.Z has stretched his budget to afford a model with a scuffed up example of a bezel & knows that an improved bezel will relieve his OCD & ignite his love for the watch - HOWEVER , Mr.Z will never re-coup the price of the bezel as HE WILL NEVER SELL THE WATCH once its in his hands.

In the above scenerio i beleive that Mr.Z has a maximum price we will call (M)
Mr.Y would probably be willing to pay 2 times the price (M) that Mr.Z was willing to pay
Mr.X would probably be willing to pay 4 times the price (M) that Mr.z was willing to pay

And now my final point that may very well shoot my own theory down - all the above is from the buyers persective only ! Every seller that has the desirable bezel is quite naturally trying to sell his bezel to Mr.X to maximise his price but Mr.X customers are probably quite thin on the ground & its more than likely a mixture of Mr. Y & Z customers are the ones prepared to pay for such a rare item.
Market forces will determine the final price.

The reason i have sidestepped solid numbers is i have been privy to some secret bezel sales & trades of late & dont want to pass judgement, excite or disappoint those i know that have been involved.

- Darren

: OK, Darren, as the first to respond, let me "put a gun to
: your head" -- since we are pals anyway -- and ask the
: question . . . what do you believe that the price range might be
: for an early bezel, with some sort of lume triangle, in fair /
: excellent / mint condition? Even in a trade there is some sort
: of assumed, deemed or notional value, so I am wondering how you
: think that number might be?

: Of course, you can take a "pass" if you don't like having
: the gun to your head (or might want to turn it on me).

: Best,

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE