The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Airline instructions/manual

Hi, Heinz! Thanks for getting back to me -

I have done a lot of research in the last day and come up with an even more unbelievable theory. There we two models of Airline made (ref. 895.413/513) - One (413) had a 24-hour hand, the other (513) had a 12-hour hand. Both models had the same functionality, where the extra hand was advanced (jumped) by the 10 o'clock pusher. One simply had a 24-hour track and the other a 12-hour track. The 24-hour version would utilize the rehaut and bezel scales as we would expect whereas the 12-hour version would simply be as you described with a diver's bezel. As you can see by the video, mine advances along the 12-hour track.

As crazy as it seems, while I have a N.O.S. 413 model, I seem to have a 513 movement!

So now I am stuck with the question of whether this happened in the factory or during a battery change at some point over the last three decades. The watch is in impeccable condition, so I have trouble believing it was done outside of a factory. I am also wondering if the movement is adjustable between 12/24 hours for that extra hand.

Any of your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Noah

: Hi, it's me again. I found your question interesting so I did some
: checking. I do have some old Heuer catalogs but have never seen
: this model. I found out that a watch like this just recently
: sold by a Swiss dealer so I got a good picture of it (appreciate
: you video). There was no description on the functionality of the
: watch in the add.
: So here my evaluation. From the video and your description it
: appears that the extra hand (jumping one hour at a push) is
: strictly a second Hour hand to make a quick change of local time
: when you travel to a different time zone. (exp. From East Coast
: to California ). The watch then shows HOME time on the regular
: Hour hand and the "Jumper" Hand shows the hour in
: California.
: The 24 Hour scale (inside on the face) and the 24 hour BEZEL I
: consider decoration with no functional purpose, ie. useless.
: Nothing to do with GMT. I do believe that once the customers
: found out this limitation, they did not purchase this model and
: it disappeared from the market.
: Hope this helps. It is a nice looking watch but the functionality
: leaves something to be desired. Regards, Heinz.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE