The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Count down to Baselworld!!!

Jeff,

At the last Heuer Summit, I vividly remember Mr.Biver explaining this "Re-Inspiration" Autavia, he explicitly told that this would not be a watch for "us", vintage Heuer collectors...he even forbid us to buy one...(he said that with a big smile though).

So, all the people nagging and complaining about this "new" Autavia, wide bezel, date window, etc...very simple...don't buy one, move on and get a real vintage example instead. Think very very smart move from JCB to not do a 1:1 copy, they could have done that very easily though.

Now ofcourse there are 2 or 3 things I would like to have been different on this watch. Bezel might be a bit too wide, bottom of the central seconds hand might be a bit too big/long,...but we still have to wait and see for the final result. Date window is not disturbing me at all, they did a great job in "hiding" it as much as possible and does not interfere too much with the rest of the dial IMHO. Also this "Re-Inspiration" will not have any negative effect on the "real" vintage Autavia's at all, I read some comments about this and I think those are complete nonsense. If it would have any effect at all...it will only be (very) positive.

Movement is remarkable and is very promising, overall build quality of the watch will be very high (modern watch ofcourse), dial layout and hands struck me from the first time I saw it and had it in my hands, great detail in these and well done. Bracelet looks awesome (I am curious about it's weight though), it will be waterproof, and last but not least...its price setting.

At the last Heuer Summit back in September, I also remember that TAG Heuer/JCB want to position the new Autavia very aggressively into the current market, with a very very sharp price setting. Thought they were talking about around 5500 CHF at that time.

When you look at the watch, see it's specifications (certainly the movement)...at this price level. Impressive.

I'm very much looking forward to the release!

Just my thoughts,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE