The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Buzz in the Watch World: Vacheron / Hodinkee Limited Edition

Quite a bit of buzz in the watch world over the last 20 hours, as Vacheron / Hodinkee collaborated to produce and sell this limited edition of 36 watches. Priced at $45,000, they sold out in around thirty minutes [that's right -- $1.6 million of watches in 30 minutes, all sold through the Hodinkee Watch Shop].

Here's the original Hodinkee posting announcing the watch -- Introducing The Vacheron Constantin Historiques Cornes de Vache 1955 Limited Edition For HODINKEE.

Over 250 comments on the original Hodinkee posting and the related Instagram posting. Topics include the aesthetics of the watch itself, the issues that arises in collaborations between journalists and watch brands (advertisers), new channels for distribution that bypass the dealers, etc. Really some interesting issues.

I think that it's a good looking watch and I applaud what Hodinkee is doing in creating these co-branded collaborations. Ben and Hodinkee have worked hard and built this massive following, and if they want to capture this in some limited edition watches, this seems OK to me. And yes, 1955 is my YOB, but there just wasn't an extra $45,000 in this month's watch budget!!

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Buzz in the Watch World: Vacheron / Hodinkee Limited Edition
Re: Buzz in the Watch World: Vacheron / Hodinkee Limited Edi
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE