The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
GMT Repair Advice

Hello - I am getting a Autavia 11630 GMT repaired (kept losing time, but otherwise in good shape) -- I have had a very good experience with a specialized vintage shop who charge £500 for full service and they do the trick. However on this occasion, I decided to try out Heuer/LVMHs own vintage service offering.
I have three questions:
- for resale, any premium assigned to having the watch serviced by Heuer - is clearly the case for Rolex, but don't think same holds here
- watch case is pretty scratched up, am tempted to get lightly polished (it is currently unpolished)
- the hands have slight staining at the center (but otherwise very nice) -- they have recommended replacement of the hands with original autavia hands (and this is a nominal cost)
I am a longer term collector --- but given they are quoting me ~£870 for the full shebang, wondered if this was worth it (or if it would actually lower resale value) -- if that's the case always nice to save the cash and as I said my local guy does a great job (Prestige Time Services).

Bought this watch from Jeff actually --- so keen to get it cleaned up.

Cheers.

JP

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE