The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My GMT Repair Suggestions
In Response To: GMT Repair Advice ()

My suggestions below, in bold.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello - I am getting a Autavia 11630 GMT repaired (kept losing time, but otherwise in good shape) -- I have had a very good experience with a specialized vintage shop who charge £500 for full service and they do the trick. However on this occasion, I decided to try out Heuer/LVMHs own vintage service offering.

I have three questions:

- for resale, any premium assigned to having the watch serviced by Heuer - is clearly the case for Rolex, but don't think same holds here

In the old days, there might have been some discount (or at least some questions) associated with factory service by TAG Heuer. Over the past year, restoration of the restoration department has been a big priority for the brand, and I suspect that "serviced by TAG Heuer" is now an asset . . . adds to the value of the watch.

- watch case is pretty scratched up, am tempted to get lightly polished (it is currently unpolished)

Perhaps this is my own nonsense, but I would never be the first to polish a case. If it has the original finish, regardless of how battered and scarred, then I leave it that way. If it has previously been polished, then I would be OK with another go at it.

- the hands have slight staining at the center (but otherwise very nice) -- they have recommended replacement of the hands with original autavia hands (and this is a nominal cost)

We see a lot of these watches with the new hands, and that looks OK to me. My own eye prefers some age on the hands . . . but once again, this may be my own nonsense.

I am a longer term collector --- but given they are quoting me ~£870 for the full shebang, wondered if this was worth it (or if it would actually lower resale value) -- if that's the case

always nice to save the cash and as I said my local guy does a great job (Prestige Time Services).

Bought this watch from Jeff actually --- so keen to get it cleaned up.

That provenance will get you a cup of coffee . . . but probably not much more than that!! Glad that this one is in a good, caring home.

Cheers.

JP

Messages In This Thread

GMT Repair Advice
Re: GMT Repair Advice
My GMT Repair Suggestions
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE