The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Ah, I see what you mean...hmnnn

why would they
: redial a small T on yours

As you already know a "T" indicates Tritium is present on a dial as does "3H". While older Heuer branded dials may have both indicators, Sinn stocked branded Heuer refurbished watch dials do not. To the best of my knowledge, both Sinn stocked Heuer branded dials (noted by their fat XL Heuer logo and cut off numerals at the sub dials) and Sinn dials (which are almost the same as the Heuer branded ones) do not have a T printed on them. Sinn provided both Tritium and non-Tritium painted dials under both brand names. Tritium dials branded Heuer and Sinn have a 3H indicator only because it was not necessary for them to print both a T and 3H as the indicators essentially mean the same thing. Dials absent of Tritium have no indicator (T or 3H) because radioactive material is not present. I handled a dial just like this one, so I am fairly sure what you have there is a reprinted and installed in a an otherwise perfectly good watch. To my eyes, nothing about the dial looks original. If it's not a reprinted dial, the "T" was certainly added after to make it a more desirable dial and therefore, time piece. Reprinted or not, I doubt the paint is Tritium. It has just been made to look like it.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE