The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Totally agree... *LINK*

: deals seem to have disappeared for the most
: part regardless of brand...unless you go
: after the lesser known brands. even then
: they have jumped up quite a bit, especially
: chronos. there are a few, of course, here
: and there, but unless your tied to the
: computer 24/7...... chances are the internet
: dealers..aka flippers will snag them before
: the most of us do.

I agree. This is a general situation not related exclusively to Heuers. About dealers... I'm searching for a rare 70s dive watch, which last year sold on ebay for less than $1K (all of the 5-6 examples that appeared fetched less than $1,000). Now someone informs me that such a watch is for sale in a German brick and mortar shop for 2,500 euros (well over $3,000)!

Yes, price anomalies are everywhere in the vintage watch market.

From Timezone Patek forum:

"Between 1989 and 1994, especially when the Italian lira was devaluated, prices on 2nd hand watches and vintage watches dropped like a stone, a 3450 was worth $85,000 in 1989 and went to $35,000 in 3 years. The market affected tremendously the retailers, collectors were somewhat shy of purchasing watches that had very poor resale value. I remember when I was offered in 1994 a 3970 for $18,000. During that time I was able to buy Patek at good discount and force the retailer to throw in a Daytona in the deal.

The Italian lira devaluation was a catastrophe for the Watch world, and so will it be when the Euro goes down. As my father used to say to me, People have a very short memory span, take advantage of that.

William (Massena)"

Messages In This Thread

What's on your shortlist?
heuer's not alone, imho,.......
Totally agree... *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE