The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
More info: Autavia 11630 KAF / Mil serial numbers

Hi Colin,

I am working with Jeff on an article on the Shauntavias, one day it will appear; happy to take input from you.

From what I have seen, I agree that a large proportion of the KAF 11630s are in the 376xxx range; but I have also seen a KAF watch in an 11063 case with a 395xxx serial, so they may have supplied watches over a wider range. I agree that the 376664 in the Christies auction seems late for 1972; according to Rich & Paul's Autavia book (a must buy), 11630s with 31-34xxx are more like post 1974, and the 11063 case starts at 38xxxx in the early 1980s. So 376xxx would be closer to 80s, which makes sense as some later KAF Autavias have the "AF82" post 82 military inscription (air force renamed after coup attempt in 82).

I don't really get your "parts bin raid" comment as you agree these watches were made by Heuer, somehow "parts bin raid" is not best choice as it has franken connotations... but maybe that is pedantic. Certainly the range of serials could mean that the 11630s in this 376xxx range were only for the KAF?

Hope this is helpful and would be interested in other info you have.

Regards
Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE