The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Remembering Senna
In Response To: Re: Remembering Senna ()

it is hard to be objective about the best, personal preferences will always impinge.
The sad days I remember

7 April 1968 sitting at a small table in the Midlands eating Sunday dinner and hearing the news on the BBC radio. At the time I was 8 and the super speedy tadpole in our fish tank by the table was named Jim Clark because, just because.

29th November 1975. Maybe he wasn't the fastest or the outright best but Graham had Charisma in spades and he got results. Once I had read Life at the Limit I was a complete fan.

11th September 1978. From the moment Ronnie stepped into a March 711, I was hooked. I followed that 1971 season so closely, without Jackie he would have got his first win, somewhere, somehow. I forget how many second places there were but second in the championship wasn't bad for your first season in a proper team. Silverstone 1973 watching his Lotus 72 on full opposite lock through Woodcote during practice, that image is seared in my memory.

Different eras, different drivers, different viewpoints. Senna was an awesome talent and to you the best. At the end of the day anyone who gets into a Grand Prix car and drives it competitively deserves respect, without the rest of the field you will never know how good your hero is.

Tony

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE